Monday, January 01, 2007

HAPPY NEW YEAR !

What a great New Year Eve celebration which ran over three days for us!
First, on December 30th we had dinner my sister and her family. Dinner consisted of Surf and Turf with lobster and beef kabobs followed by East Indian dessert delicacies. As part of the evening festivities we played a rousing game of Pictionary (boys vs. girls) followed by singing with the karaoke machine. Both Sandra and I belted out three 2 CDs worth of Beatles songs and although we were no von Trapp family, I think we did a grand job. The Cleghorn/Tripone family certainly know how to put on an entertaining evening.

New Year's Eve was spent at a party with friends in the neighbourhood. Dylan slept in their bedroom (in theory) although he was too excited and managed to stay awake until 1:00 am. We danced until 3:00am and then walked home with an almost full moon and a lovely warm night as backdrop to a brand new year. The next day, we were invited to a street party (not our street but one street away). What great spirit! All the neighbours were out to this event and brought homemade goodies, chili, cider, bbq (we brought a box of Starbucks coffee). The children and men played hockey for 3.5 hours straight! Dylan had such a great time and then collapsed into bed for a 12-hour sleep. I was told by several people living on the street that although many have had the opportunity to move out to bigger and better homes (many have shared parking lanes and only 1000sq. ft. living space) they refuse to do so only because they love their neighbourhood so much. We have already been invited to their annual Easter egg hunt, summer party, jazz party etc.....


As I reflect over the past year I think how it started with so much sorrow but ended with joy. The beginning of 2006 saw the loss of my uncle Eddy and my good friend Rose. It felt like the beginning of a giant downward spiral. But then I located my father and sister and brother and life threw us a curveball. I know it is a Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times" but I can't help but feel that this is what keeps us going. You cannot truly appreciate the valleys in life until you have experienced the hills. I will remember 2006 as the year of my hills and valleys and I cannot help but be grateful for every small blessing, every new contact in my life and especially my strong reservoir of family and friends. May each and every one of you have a healthy and joyous new year in 2007.



No comments: