Monday, September 17, 2007

Family Camping Trip in September

We went overnight camping in Presquile Provincial Park with my sister and family. Of course, we had decided on this arrangement in July during a heatwave. However, camping in September when the temperature goes down to 1C at night is a whole other ballgame. But, we all dressed appropriately and huddled beside a roaring fire to make this a very enjoyable weekend. At night time as we lay in our tents we could hear the howling of a pack of coyotes in the distance. This was a little intimitating in our paper-thin barriers.

We went for a nature hike and enjoyed watching the sunset over Lake Ontario.

Cousin "It"

We roasted JiffyPop popcorn over the campfire as well as marshmellows.

Rainbow over the Marshlands

Hansel and Gretal Woods

We went on a nature hike and we saw many species of fungi. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen as many types of mushroom in one park...ever! These photos are just a small sample of what we saw. Of course we were careful not to touch any. An emergency physician that I work with, Margaret Thompson, is also the head of the Poison Control Centre and had issued an alert this year reminding people not to eat mushrooms from the forests as a husband/wife were in need of a liver transplant due to hepatotoxicity from their mushroom foraging expedition. It reminded me of my childhood when my babysitter and I would go mushroom picking at the cottage. It was a delicious rite of summer to eat these sauteed mushrooms fresh off the bark. Now, I would never consider picking my own mushrooms.





No comments: